Saturday, April 5, 2008

My backyard

This is my first post! Lots of photos to start out with. Spring is just starting here, and there are signs of life peeking out if you look closely. Most of my photos will be taken in or near the Redwood River valley. I'll start out with some photos of my back yard.

Just entering the woods. The large trees are Bur Oaks (Quercus macrocarpa)
The stream that drains the drain tile from under the surrounding agricultural fields. It comes out of a pipe and runs most of the year, unless there is a drought. I have been lining it with rocks to slow the erosion it causes. There is still a little ice on it, that should disappear in a few more days.
The Redwood River. Every year it moves around in the flood plain, building new sandbars and cutting away the shoreline. Unfortunately it is eating away at the back of my lot! I have been trying to slow the erosion by planting willows and grasses on the shore, and placing brush and trees in the water to slow the current. I don't know if it's doing much to prevent erosion, but it has attracted a lot of wildlife.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, first commenter! Love the blog, very informative. Pictures are great, cant wait for more! -E